[blindkid] Host Family for Blind Exchange Student

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Thu May 26 13:33:25 UTC 2011

I have been asked to post the following announcement.

American Councils is looking for host families for high school exchange
 students for the upcoming school year. Our students are winners of various
 U.S. State Department merit scholarships. As part of the competitive
 process to be selected, students undergo assessment of their
 English-language ability, motivation in wanting to spend a year abroad,
 and ability to adapt to a foreign culture. Students with disabilities are
 encouraged to apply for these scholarships. Disability communities in many
 foreign countries are very different from the US. Thus, we are looking for
 host families that are tied into the U.S. deaf community and blind
community to
 help the year abroad be an empowering experience for our students. These
 experiences are something that they can “take home” with them as alumni.
 Anyone can host! Host families are volunteers and provide the student with
 a bed of their own (they may share a room), three meals a day and a place
 to study (table or desk). Students receive a monthly stipend, health
 insurance and funds for enrichment and school related expenses. They excel
 academically, perform community service, make cultural presentations and
 learn about the components of a civil society. They return home prepared
 to lead their country's next generation.
 If you would like more information about hosting, please contact Jessica
 Garcia at 708-799-5886 or mrsjessicagarcia at yahoo.com.