[blindkid] Described Videos

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri May 27 04:20:01 UTC 2011

Thanks Steve,

I emailed Texas to ask about that service (from your link) for out-of-state users. Sounds handy. That other list is very interesting, but I don't see on that what to look for to confirm that a particular DVD package contains the proper show version-- again- trying to look for a particular ISBN or such. For example, the Toy Story Movies, even with a direct link to Amazon don't seem to reflect being described (on the Amazon site), but it says to order those ones linked to be certain you get the described versions. I'm probably being over-cautious but mainly just amazed at what a low priority this seems to be for these movie companies-- so low that even if they bother to describe the video, they don't seem too concerned about telling anyone they did it? (How strange is that?)

From What Kayleigh says in her reply, it sounds like the first two Toy Story Movies actually are described (per the list), though the package doesn't say so, (just like Amazon). Apparently TS3 does say it is, (and it indeed is). In fact the acb web site even shows a big "splash page" from the TS3 DVD with easy access to the description, yet from what I find, Amazon doesn't list the DVS feature on their site for the movie under either special features or as an alternative language. I don't think I've overlooked anything there...

Apart from the marketing  and the packaging saying which titles are described, another situation that needs to be addressed a bit better is that it seems to be hard to get to these alternative audio tracks on the actual DVD's, broadcasts, etc., because they often seem to bury access several menus deep-- not the simplest thing to find without vision, I would suspect. Isn't it strange that they have generally gotten the closed caption button pretty easy to find visually for the hearing impaired, but the vision impaired have hard-to-find, often nearly-vision-requiring access methods...

BTW, I should clear up a mistake I posted earlier. Not that it has caused a great deal of confusion so far, but it is not an "A" with sound waves, it is a "D", based on what I see on-line. Some also say "DVS", etc. I guess I had A-for-audio on the brain.  The original apparently had a D with three progressively larger sound waves moving to the right, though I have yet to find that on a DVD in the store anywhere. This logo itself seems to have as much discussion on the web (if not more) than the actual DVS programs, LOL.

Perhaps I overstate, but here's a whole web page on the logo:

http://joeclark.org/access/resources/symbolizing-dvs.html

The thing maybe worth noting is that apparently the orig. logo was a WGBH thing, and DVS is (or at least was) also a WHBH "branded" service. Some "described" programs are apparently described by their own in-house services (or something apart from WGBH's service). It seems WGBH offered the logo free for others to use, but others may not actually use it-- (there's no requirement for that, obviously). This makes me wonder if I'm running across quite a few described DVD's but I'm just not seeing how the feature is marked.

At least with the help of several on this list, I'm figuring out how to solve this situation. It may not seem that important at first, but it is important to my daughter and I appreciate all the suggestions!

	-RH