[blindkid] [Bulk] Social behavior

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Wed Oct 26 22:13:28 UTC 2011

As others have stated, opportunities for physical activity are a great way
to channel the energy that otherwise goes into rocking, etc.  Also, it can
help to keep a child's hands busy during car trips and other times of
enforced sitting.  Dr. Lilli Nielsen, the Danish educator of blind children
who pioneered Active Learning, designed an "activity apron" for a blind
toddler or preschooler to wear on drives or at other times when there is a
lot of waiting.  The apron has pockets to hold small toys and other objects,
and various things can also be tied or Velcroed to it.  Dr. Nielsen notes
that "blindisms" usually begin at about eight months of age, at a time when
sighted kids are learning to crawl and explore.  She emphasizes the
importance of encouraging early movement in blind children to provide the
stimulation they need.

Debbie