[blindkid] ideas needed

Chantel Alberhasky chantel at alberhaskylaw.com
Sat Oct 29 15:43:28 UTC 2011

She may be modeling the attitude at school - "best practice is to use her vision."     Our son doesn't like to use his cane either.  He is 8 years old and has used a cane since he was 3.   He has roughly 20/400 vision - he has albinism so his vision fluctuates and when outside he virtually has no sight due to photo phobia.   We do not allow him to choose whether to use his cane.  He knows he must take it with him wherever we go.   When we are walking and he is dragging his cane or holding it in the air I will ask him "what technique are you using?"  Then I make him choose one and start using it.    It is a constant reminder.

BTW, when he trips/stumbles/falls I tell him, "if you had used your cane that wouldn't have happened."  I also do not warn him if there is a drop off or a change in terrain as he needs to learn to do that himself - obviously I would warn if he was in danger of really hurting himself.

I have to ask, if you don't mind, what you mean by wanting to be more "collaborative" with the school?   Do you believe your daughter should be receiving Braille?

Chantel L. Alberhasky
419 Boonville Avenue
Springfield, MO 65806
417.865.4444

The Missouri Bar Disciplinary Counsel requires all Missouri attorneys
notify all recipients of e-mail that (1) e-mail communication is not a
secure method of communication, (2) any e-mail that is sent to you or
by
you may be copied and held by various computers it passes through as it
goes from me to you or vice versa, (3) persons not participating in our
communication may intercept our communications by improperly accessing
your computer or my computer or even some computer unconnected to
either
of us which the e-mail passed through. I am communicating to you via
e-mail because you have consented to receive communications via this
medium. If you change your mind and want future communications to be
sent in a different fashion, please let me know AT ONCE.