[blindkid] ideas needed

Amanda Winkler awcactuscat1 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 30 01:03:19 UTC 2011

I understand your frustrations because I was a low vision child who refused
to use my cane also.  My main reason I did not want to use it was so I could
be like my brother, friends and peers.  I didn't want to be different from
everyone else.  Yes, keep trying to encourage to use her cane but until she
realizes it for herself it will be a struggle.  expose her to other low
vision/blind children who she can make friends with.  Children don't want to
be different from others around them.  As hard it is to watch her fall and
get hurt or get teased by others this is one of the main ways she will learn
that she needs to use her cane.  Monitor such things but don't stop them
entirely and only intervene when such things start to get out of hand.

Amanda