[blindkid] Tech question: Bookshare for Mac with a braille display

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Aug 14 02:23:56 UTC 2012

Even on Macs, there are many variations of OS version and settings.

This is just a guess, but if you can see the file extension  (.brf, .xml, etc.) change the .brf to .txt and if asked by the OS, confirm the change, then see if it will work. If the file extension is missing, I believe there is a finder preferences setting in some OS versions which needs to be checked or unchecked as appropriate.

Worst case, it doesn't work and you restore the file to the original name with no harm done...

Alternatively there are ways to remap the default application for the existing extension (for the actual file type) but for a test, switch the extension first and double click or drag onto the intended application (such as Word). You might also explore some import commands on various applications, etc.

-RH

Sent from my iPad