[blindkid] DVS list?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Dec 7 17:39:46 UTC 2012

That's nice to hear, thanks. So glad that you had some success!

Our local library had a number of described films listed on-line, but most came in without DVS on them. Rather strange. A few other titles on the shelf do have DVS but are not shown to have this feature on the list. I made them aware of the issue. I have seen no changes in the catalog however and that was quite a while ago.

I have found that some Redbox (rental) titles have Audio Description ("How to Train Your Dragon" comes to mind), but as I mentioned before, at least one major distributor was intentionally deleting the DVS from the rental releases of the same films SOLD with DVS and there is no indication on the Kiosk before you rent. I do understand the one distributor (I think it was Sony-- can't recall for certain) stated they would stop removing the DVS from those titles. Still, when you rent, you never know for certain what you'll get.

That was part of the concern that I didn't think to mention to Dawn in my reply to her-- the titles listed on the sites don't always have the DVD on the particular disc you buy, so I always want to have my hands on the disc before I buy it to see the back of the package...

One of the things I'd like to on some list. Hear that people actually rented "Title X" from redbox and fount it had DVS, or that it was missing.

Our main library downtown (Atlanta) does have a number of described VHS titles for loan. This is the library that manages most braille titles and audio tapes of recordings for the blind and dyslexic for metro Atlanta as well. Some video tapes are in great condition. Some are virtually unwatchable (from excessive wear or damage).

Richard Holloway, Vice President
Georgia Organization of Parents of Blind Children
www.gopbc.org