[blindkid] made my day

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 05:23:54 UTC 2012

Hi Cynthia,
You guys are really in a tough situation and my heart goes out to you
and your son. I don't know all the details but as a blind adult I just
want to reaffirm that blindness by itself by no means affects a
teenager's ability to identify and take his own meds. I was handling
meds myself by the time I  was ten or so, and granted, I didn't have
any complicated medication routines or multiple meds to take at the
same time, but if I did I would have been competent to handle it
myself at 14. Your son's willful  choice to take the wrong med is a
risk for any teenager and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with
blindness.
You didn't mention if your son has any disabilities besides blindness
that could affect his ability to follow instructions or his behavioral
cooperation. Sometimes outsiders (like his therapist's supervisor)
tend to focus on  the blindness when there is really another issue
that's the true concern. If he does have other disabilities then your
decision about how much independence to give him should  relate to
those other conditions, not blindness. If he has no other disabilities
besides being legally blind, though, I  see absolutely nothing wrong
with what you did.
I'm glad you live in Littleton. I would urge you to reach out to the
Colorado Center for the Blind, if you haven't already. They can  help
give you some emotional support and guidance and can advise you if
social services is still a threat. The main number is:
303-778-1130
Please call and ask to speak with Julie or Brent. Julie is the
director, and Brent is the youth services coordinator and has run
summer camps for teens for many years (at which, I'm sure, many teens
are taking their own medications).
Best of luck,
Arielle Silverman
(blind woman, graduate student at University of Colorado Boulder, and
board member, Boulder Valley Chapter, National Federation of the
Blind)