[blindkid] I need help

Doreen Franklin doreenproverbs3 at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 27 22:04:53 UTC 2012

Sonya
I totally agree with what everyone has already said!

I can also suggest that you ask the school for the blind to provide you "Notice of Refusal in writing in a timely manner" on their denial of braille and cane (you will want to use the words in quotes -- it is the legal-eze that they will recognize). Their is a US Dept of Education form for any denials for services, evals, etc. It not only includes the denial, but the school will have to put in writing WHY they are denying services, what other sources for your son that they looked at, what other sources they gave to you, etc. You could put your request in writing (by letter) and send it certified, return receipt requested so you will have a record of "who" signed for that letter when it was delivered.

You can also contact the PTI (Parent Training Center) in Ohio that covers your county -- go to http://www.parentcenternetwork.org/parentcenterlisting.html and then click on Ohio to find the PTI in your area. They should be assist you in understanding the IDEA law and what it means for your son. (I work for one of the PTIs in FL).

Good luck and keep me posted on the Notice of Refusals -- I am interested in that.

Doreen Franklin
V President
FL Organization of Parents of Blind Children
772-284-4458