[blindkid] How to answer questions

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Fri Feb 3 01:19:36 UTC 2012

I can remember feeling nervous about this when we first found out
that our daughter was blind, when she was an infant.  I think one of
the keys to bringing up a well-adjusted blind/VI kid is to make sure
that they feel and know that they are whole, complete human
beings.  They are not deficient, inferior, or less able.  As others
have said, their eyes don't work, or don't work that well.  Learn
positive language with which to speak about blindness and the
abilities of blind people.  You'll be teaching your daughter, your
neighbors, your extended family, too.

How do we make sure that our kids are whole and complete?  We make
sure that they grow up learning all the skills they need--both visual
and nonvisual--to handle the tasks of life.  For partially sighted
kids, this means giving them the freedom to use tactile skills to
enhance (or replace) vision.  Don't push using vision beyond the
point of efficiency.

Dr. Fred Schroeder's research has shown that partially sighted people
who regard themselves as complete blind people as opposed to
"deficient sighted people" have higher self esteem and more
fulfilling lives.  This seems to be because they accept and embrace
the tactile skills that actually enable them to do things.  The lives
of the other group kept getting narrower and narrower--when their
vision failed them in task after task, they would stop engaging the
those tasks.  It's pretty interesting stuff.

So, bottom line, bring up your child with a positive self image and
the skills for self-sufficiency.  Then she can feel good herself and
her abilities.  She'll have competence and will be confident.  It's a
beautiful thing.

Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ