[blindkid] Blind child and day-care. (Was Hello)

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Mon Jan 2 02:49:44 UTC 2012

Dear Sarah,
You have had some wonderful advice about organising your little girl's world
to make it motivating and interesting. I agree with all that has been
suggested. However, I want to encourage you to remove your daughter from
that day-care situation as soon as you possibly can. It is extremely
unlikely that they are treating her like a bright, inquisitive, competent
little girl. I imagine they expect her to be retarded in her development and
intellect because, at the moment, she is not behaving like the other
children her age.

If you surround her with the sorts of motivating experiences which have been
suggested, and you find therapists who begin to treat her like a child who
needs motivation and choices, rather than manipulation, then I've no doubt
that she'll start to develop and improve dramatically.

However, ten hours a day in a day-care that is not interacting with her in
lots of ways for lots of time will result in a very sad, despondent, and
perhaps even angry little girl. She is full of needs that she doesn't yet
know how to meet ... the need to move, to know, to interact, to understand,
to relate, to succeed. Yet, she doesn't know how or believe that she can.
I'm not saying this to upset you, I'm sharing your daughter perspective with
you.

Several years ago I began teaching a 5-year-old, blind girl (we'll call her
Katie) who had been put into a prestigious day-care/preschool when she was
18-months old. Her parents worked, and they believed she needed the
experience of other children and the help of professionals. even after she
had been through two years of the county's programme for blind children her
emotional and developmental level were astonishingly low. While Katie also
had some other physical issues, her main problem was the lack of stimulation
she had received and the way she had been moved and manipulated all her
life. When she came to me she moved like a zombie, afraid to put one foot in
front of the other. Her hands flopped beside her for she didn't know that
life was for her to "take hold of". She had not been taught to dress
herself, put on her shoes, or backpack. she didn't know she could search the
shelves and choose an activity. She didn't initiate conversation with other
children and didn't know how to carry on a conversation if another child
spoke to her. she didn't know how to play; to pretend that a ball was
chasing her or that a rocking horse was trying to buck her off. She didn't
know how to even roll play. She was frightened of stairs, of the sand-box,
of slides of jumping of a step...it was as if she was scared of life itself.

she had not reacted to her situation with tantrums and fury, like some
children, she had reacted by withdrawing. She had no love of life; in fact,
she had the worst case of learned helplessness that I had ever seen in over
20 years of teaching. When she was asked to put on her shoes she would push
her foot into the first shoe she touched - whether it was hers or not and
irrespective of whether it was a right or left shoe - and would then lean
back on one hand while flopping her other hand about on the shoe as if she
knew she was supposed to do something, but didn't know what. It was very
apparent to me that she had never been properly shown how to do the job.
She'd had people grab her hands and do "hand-over-hand" (a largely
ineffective method) demonstration. Then she'd been told to repeat the task.
But, for a child who hadn't learned to use her hands to manipulate and
explore her world, she didn't have the prerequisite skills. but, far worse,
she'd been so manipulated and grabbed and moved, she didn't know that she
could do it herself. She had no belief that she could actually do things
herself. Why try if you know the outcome will be failure? My heart broke for
Katie because her problems were not the result of blindness; they were the
result of people who didn't know how to interact with a blind baby. No
bouncing on someone's lap, no singing and rolling games, no crawling under a
pile of cushions. She didn't know how to jump, or run, or climb, chase. She
wasn't much interested in food, or smells or stories or pretending. No fun
for Katie, no joy of living, no meaning no understanding. Just lying and
sitting still and alone in the crowded day-care and then, with no warning
and no recognition of the therapists by voice because of the time passed
between visits, *grabbing* and *making* and *pulling* and *moving* and
*forcing*! Then, with no language to express her misery and fears and
loneliness, she was left alone again.

Was this because she she was blind? No, blindness doesn't cause any of these
things. It was because of how they interacted with Katie during her long
hours at the day-care.

This is not what you want for your little girl. If you can find a family
day-care setting where she can have more, small group, interaction this
would be better. If you could find one person who might have her in their
home while you work that would be even better. Or, perhaps you may need to
stay home with her for a year and play with her and love and encourage her
into life. If you'd like to contact me and discuss things I'd love to help.
Please just email me off list and we'll organise to talk.

Incidentally, Katie is now a wonderfully social little girl who loves life
and people. She has made unimaginable progress and is on grade level in most
areas though she has areas of delay that we're still working on. But, things
could have been so very different for Katie if people had known that the
child was normal, she just didn't interact with the world using vision.
Katie's problem was the lack of correct information possessed by her
parents, therapists and teachers. Blindness, of itself, is not the problem.

I applaud you for reaching out Sarah and I implore you to trust your
instincts as a parent. You have a lovely little girl who just needs to learn
that she can interact with her world. Please keep in touch and we'll help as
best we can.

Warmest regards,

Heather