[blindkid] Blind child and day-care. (Was Hello)

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Mon Jan 2 15:36:40 UTC 2012

A thought on the word "manipulation"--in regular English, this word
has a negative connotation--to be manipulated is not a good
thing.  But in doctor-PT-OT land, the word simply means to examine or
move or treat a certain body area with one's hands.

For the kids who have serious movement needs, as mine certainly did
as a baby, manipulation of their bodies will be a part of physical
therapy.  For example, in order to get the "movement idea" of rolling
over into my daughter's body, the therapists taught us to begin the
turn by moving the bottom half of her body, following how the body
would do this movement for itself. I am quite sure that if Serena had
not been "manipulated" in this way, she may never have rolled over,
given her way too early birth and her hospital experiences (tied down
via IV lines for months, etc.).  Again I believe the important thing
is to get these activities accomplished in a manner that gives the
child the movement information necessary without unduly upsetting him or her.

So I just think we need to remember that some babies--especially the
micro premies and kids whose eye conditions are a part of a syndrome
that affects other body systems--have legitimate therapeutic movement
needs which will include manipulation of their bodies.  That's okay
and we should not demonize the word "manipulate." These babies also
have all the needs for love, interaction, encouragement, high
expectations, etc. outlined below.  These are not mutually exclusive
and we need to make sure the baby gets all these needs met.

Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ
Director of Programs