[blindkid] Braille note

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Mar 8 19:22:34 UTC 2012

I must confess mixed feelings on the homework.  If it is productive and appropriate, it might be great to add it. My concern would be if it becomes "busy work" that could be bad. Also, if your son realizes he is the only one with extra work, he may not be thrilled.

My oldest daughter went to a school that never did homework through 6th grade and had no problems from it. Her school simply didn't "do" homework, save the odd special project. She was typically sighted, but I don't think that one is a blindness related issue.

She transitioned from Montessori to public school in 7th grade and was well on track with kids who had been doing homework for 6 years already. She went quickly into the most advanced classes and programs.

My point is that with the right structure, you may not need the homework. No great help there for the BrailleNote argument obviously.

Still if you feel he may benefit, there is a reason for the "I" in IEP. Either way, I'm really surprised that a school for the blind would be resistant to offering appropriate adaptive equipment for home use. I wonder if that is a common issue.

Perhaps this is a situation where a particular "expert" decided at some point that using a notetaker at home is not beneficial and as a professional in charge they do not want their policy challenged?

I know there is nothing terribly persuasive there, but it might give you a couple of different approaches to think about while you work this all out.

Sent from my