[blindkid] Braille note

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 8 20:17:53 UTC 2012

Agreed :-)
Electronic braille-notakers are a game-changer for young blind students.
But to become truly proficient with them, they need to be able to "play"
with them - use them intensely. That means home use, not just structure
in-class use.
I would definitely push for home use & over-the-summer use as well. For
many this can be justified by summer reading programs, or the use can be
incorporated into an over-the-smmer IEP goal to make it "official".
All 3 of our local School Districts are now piloting the iPad for general
ed classroom use. For many kids, an electronic braille-notaker will be a
way to more effectively interface with the iPad-like devices.
Electronic braille-notakers are no longer "a luxury", but a necessary tool
to access the general education curriculum & succeed.
Eric

On 3/8/12 7:46 AM, "Richard Holloway" <rholloway at gopbc.org> wrote:

> [...]
>were expected to leave their pen, paper, and notebooks at school every
>day!
>
>Our district does require a sheet to be signed to state we're responsible
>for the unit. This has not prevented them thus far from dealing with
>typical maintenance issues on her equipment, but it is reasonable that we
>should cover any damage due to negligence or such, and that would be my
>answer to anyone saying a child isn't old enough. We have signed out
>various things-- braillenotes, printers. braillewriters, even an abacus
>(though I dont know of that actually needed to be signed for as such). I
>suggest that if a parent says they will be responsible for the equipment,
>then it really isn't the school's concern beyond that. Our kids need
>these units to be successful. If we will pay in case they are damaged,
>where is their argument not to send these home? Same thing over the
>summer. What is the harm if we cover these for damage over summer break?
>And as for need over the summer, even of you're not arguing work would
>fall behind, often there is summer work, at least such as a summer
>reading list. State that you need the braillenote to access booskshare
>books or the like.
>
>If someone has concerns about the cost in case of loss or damage, etc.
>(very understandable-- it concerns us too) you might see what your
>insurance will cover or what can be added on.
>
>Richard
>
>On Mar 7, 2012, at 6:48 PM, DrV wrote:
>
>> My 4th grade son has been taking his BrailleNote to & back from school
>> since Kindergarden.
>> For us it was never even a question - He needs the tool to do his
>> homework.
>> It is a vital part of his educational experience.
>> How is a child expected to keep up or excel if they are not allowed to
>> appropriate access & tools?
>> I would argue that the BrailleNote is needed to access the mandatory
>> general ed curriculum at home & school.
>> My 2 cents.
>> Eric
>>
>> On 3/7/12 2:53 PM, "Dr. S. Merchant" <smerchant at vetmed.lsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I really think the maturity of the individual student needs to be taken
>>> into
>>> account, so to deny access to this piece of equipment at home until a
>>> certain age doesn't make sense.  However, the Braille notetakers can be
>>> somewhat fragile as concerns their pin movements to create the Braille
>>>and
>>> the functioning Braille display sometimes doesn't survive intact when
>>> dropped, but on the other hand it isn't thin glass either.  My son and
>>> few
>>> of the students that were in his self contained VI class were taking
>>>their
>>> Braille note takers (school bought/owned) home in the first and second
>>> grade. It then never left his side through high school.

>>> home. Many kids use them for their homework. They are provided by the
>>> district.  I am pretty sure IDEA mentions home use. I don't have the