[blindkid] O&M issue

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 20:37:30 UTC 2012

I don't even know why I am so upset over this.

I was just told by my 8 year old daughter's O&M instructor just said she
got an email from the school distinct that there are "O&M issues" at
school. This coming from her afternoon paraprofessional  (she has two one
in the morning one in the afternoon)

The issue is I spoke with her paraprofessional already.. My understanding
is the issue is behavioral.  Abby is being lazy at her cane where she feel
safe and she is 8.  I told her para to remind her but don't take her hand
and try and show her how to use the cane (yup this happened really upset
Abby)  I told her that she will trip and she will run into things.  Its the
best way to teach her to USE her cane.  (am i wrong here?)  The is not
some dangerous place. The other issue was her being unsafe for other
children. Abby and i spoke and we decided that if she is being unsafe for
other children that her para can tell her to stop and wait till she is
ready to be safe.  I thought i had handled it.

Abby is 8 years old. Has only had O&M for a year and gets it once a week.
 She has only been blind for less than two years.  (she has partial sight
with limited central vision but enough vision to get herself in trouble)

 95% of Abby's O&M sessions happen in the community.  She is learning so
much.  I adores her teacher. She even gets group O&M lessons every couple
of weeks with another girl her age) Her teacher isn't anti-nfb cane ether.
 It not how she was trained but if Abby wants to take one of her NFB cane's
on a lesson its fine with her it just not her preference.  I make cane
choice Abby's.  She decides which of her four canes she will use.

I don't even know what is so upseting. I don't want the school district to
think that her o&m isn't doing a great job.  They have
changed providers before.
--
--Penny