[blindkid] Braille ReadingRates??

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Wed Mar 21 14:42:45 UTC 2012

I absolutely concur!  I was taught whole-word recognition back in the 50s
and had the freedom to choose among all of the books on our class library
shelf - all of them in contracted Braille.  When I didn't know a word I just
kept going, and eventually I made sense of it, which I think is the way good
print readers learn.  I was taught the contractions in a systematic way in
about third grade - I can still rattle off the list of Dot 5 signs from "Day
ever father here" to "under work young."

Debbie