[blindkid] reading rates

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Mar 24 14:30:43 UTC 2012

Denise,

These rates seem high to me for averages, particularly for kids who start reading in high school.  They are certainly all achieveable rates and I know many
who read at these rates, but I'd be curious to know more about the criteria for your subject selection.  Having said this, these all do not seem like
unreasonable goals.  I would also add that braille does not have to be read at these speeds to be valuable and even essential for a child.  There are many
areas where the detail conveyed through braille is as important as the reading speed.  If a child is reading at 40 or 50 words per minute, getting them up to
one hundred words per minute would make a major difference.  That's not to say we should settle for that.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 06:16:56 -0700, Denise Robinson wrote:

>To add to what Dave is saying...the students who began early Braille are reading 300 .. To 400 plus words per minute. The readers who began later
elem are around 250 and students beginning in high school are around 180 plus words per min....I time them using grade level reading materials... These
are timings done at HS school level now
>Denise
>Sent from my iPad

>On Mar 23, 2012, at 7:54 PM, David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com> wrote:

>> To be honest Carol, I don't really remember -- it has been to many years.  I think I was reading for pleasure, but as I say it was over 40 years ago when
it was done.

>> Dave
>>
>> At 10:21 AM 3/22/2012, you wrote:
>>> Arielle, Heather, Dave, and any other Braille readers out there,
>>>
>>> You gave your own reading rates.  What sort of material did you use to measure this?  Did you do a 5-minute test?  Or did you simply time yourself
reading an article or something like that?  As I read more and more about this issue and reading rates in general, I see that there are many ways to
measure.  For example, if a person is reading for pleasure the rate will be faster than if he/she is reading to learn something.