[blindkid] reading rates

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 21:45:19 UTC 2012

Hi all,
Jerry Whittle timed me while I was an adult student at LCB four years
ago. He had me read silently from a pleasure book for two minutes,
then count the words I had read and divide by two. I think I was timed
two or three times this way and got about 300 wpm on average. I think
my read-aloud time was about 250, but don't remember exactly. I
actually find that sometimes, especially when I pick up Braille after
not reading any Braille at all for a while, that I find myself reading
too fast on habit and having to slow myself down so I don't skip
words. I kind of prefer reading aloud since it forces me to slow down
a little.
I think I may have also been timed as a child, but I have no idea when
or how that was done. I can probably find out (I still have contact
with my old TVI and Braille teachers).
>From our discussions it definitely sounds like regular reading is key,
not just early exposure or good initial instruction. There are lots of
places to get free or low-cost Braille books, and I would definitely
urge parents with young kids to make getting Braille books into the
home a priority, ones at or above the child's current reading level.