[blindkid] Braille note

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Mar 29 17:44:05 UTC 2012

I typed another giant message and still left something out. I have to learn to me more concise!

Keep in mind that after your next IEP, you're not "stuck" for another year. You can call another IEP a day or a week later if needed. Especially the first few years, we often had more than one. You can also refuse to sign if you don't like the solution, more or less forcing additional meetings to work things out, though I think with an existing IEP, the old one would simply remain in force until a new one is agreed upon.

Refusing to sign may be best if, for example, you don't feel the meeting is complete and team members can stay no longer. If that happens, say you're not ready to sign and ask when is a good time to continue the meeting.

I know it is probably FAR from the record, but we have had 10-person meetings which have lasted more than 4 hours. Sometimes it takes a while to come to an agreement, but don't feel you need to give in. You can be polite but firm, and the more appropriate and useful info you have to offer, the better the chance you can persuade any team members who disagree with you. Know the guidelines and policies and use them to your advantage. Explain why you believe a notetaker is most appropriate. Don't choose it because it is "BEST". They don't have to give your child the BEST education. They have to offer a Free Appropriate Public Education. (FAPE)

The whole IEP process should be a dynamic one which facilitates the learning process by providing appropriate solutions and adaptations for your daughter. When they disagree with your wishes, have them explain why what they suggest is more appropriate. If you disagree with what they say you'll then have them on record. Be certain anything they state which you believe is not appropriate gets entered into the notes so they can't change what they claim they said. If the comments are left out, have them put back in before you sign the IEP. Remember they can do the same to you though, so position your reasoning accordingly, and revise and amend your own comments before you sign.

That BrailleNotes can save effort and money for the system is not an IEP consideration. That is an off-the-IEP-record thing they should be aware of that might be helpful or persuasive, but since it is not you trying to manipulate (officially) to your advantage, it is worth making certain they know you know it in casual discussion. That the BrailleNote offers more equal and appropriate access for your child would be an IEP consideration. Avoid "I want this because it is 'best' for my child". That is an easy trap to get caught in. Say the exact same thing because it is "appropriate", and follow up with reasons why what you want is the adapted equivalent to what sighted peers already have. At least that is were I would start...

Sorry to monopolize the thread.

Richard

Sent from my iPad