[blindkid] Expanded Core Curriculum Feedback

Chantel Alberhasky chantel at alberhaskylaw.com
Mon May 14 00:59:38 UTC 2012

I am not going to debate the merits of the ECC but do want to state it is appropriate for an IEP to include functional goals.  The IDEA is clear that functional goals should be included if the child needs it to receive FAPE.  In fact some kids only have functional goals (i.e. social skills) in they rIEP if they do not have specific academic needs or deficiencies.

We have included functional goals in our children's IEPs.   Our middle son has a significant learning disability including language processing disorder with word retrieval issues.  When he was in kindergarten we included the goal of him knowing his address, phone number and his parents' names.  I know kids tend to learn this in Kindergarten but he needed to have this as a goal for safety issues.  He also worked on it in his private language therapy.

Yes we teach our children at home but some things need to also be reinforced/taught in school as well to ensure our children - any child with an IEP - becomes an independent adult with the proper social skills .

Chantel L. Alberhasky, Esq
419 Boonville Avenue
Springfield, MO 65806
417.865.4444

The Missouri Bar Disciplinary Counsel requires all Missouri attorneys tonotify all recipients of e-mail that (1) e-mail communication is not asecure method of communication, (2) any e-mail that is sent to you or byyou may be copied and held by various computers it passes through as itgoes from me to you or vice versa, (3) persons not participating in ourcommunication may intercept our communications by improperly accessingyour computer or my computer or even some computer unconnected to eitherof us which the e-mail passed through. I am communicating to you viae-mail because you have consented to receive communications via thismedium. If you change your mind and want future communications to besent in a different fashion, please let me know AT ONCE.