[blindkid] ACT/(PLAN = Pre-ACT) & SAT/PSAT Questions

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 14 17:52:12 UTC 2012

Hi All,
My son took the PLAN (pre-ACT) on Saturday & will be taking the PSAT
Wednesday. This is the first time our district is administering these to a
braille-using student (at least in this century).
On behalf of my son, I¹d appreciate any insights/thoughts you have on the
following:
1.     Based on what my son shared about the graphics & formatting, do any
of you know if the Braille version of these National Standardized Tests are
produced & proofed by certified transcribers?

2.    Who in your experience typically proctors these tests? How often is
the TVI?

3.    How much clarification is the proctor allowed to give? My son had been
specifically instructed that he could not ask for any clarifications, but it
seemed like for some of the graphics, not all the information was there or
presented properly in the braille version.

4.    What do you perceive the role of the TVI to be leading up to these
tests, preparing for these tests, & potentially in their administration (is
this considered in the TVI world to be an "extracurricular" activity or part
of a student's educational experience)?

Thank you,
Respectfully,
EricV