[blindkid] BrailleNote use

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Sep 6 05:46:47 UTC 2012

On the equal access subject, you may be in a situation where your school (as ours) has textbooks which can be accessed on-line. I think in our case, sighted students at school can opt to have a print book as well.

Sometimes school personnel will point out you don't even "need" a physical textbook. After all, your blind student can simply listen to text content. This may be true, but listening is not reading. Sighted kids have both options. Blind kids need the same. Further, diagrams won't work well in either presentation. Obviously a photograph may be of little use for a totally blind student beyond a verbal description of the content, but some diagrams, charts and such are adapted in Braille textbooks.

The point is, you're not asking for too much to tell them you want, and indeed expect access on-line if other kids have that, PLUS an electronic copy on a BrailleNote, as well as a Braille copy of the book, and a print copy for yourself. Better to start with all of them and not use one "flavor" all the time, because goodness knows you'll wait the better part of a school year to add one later.

We expect a print copy always, if for no other reason than the fact that we frequently find errors in braille-transcribed textbooks. It is short-sighted at best given the way textbooks are headed for the schools not to be getting electronic notetakers into our kids' hands just to offer improved access to actual textbooks, and that is just one in a long list of reasons these are appropriate accommodations for our children.

-RH

Sent from my iPad