[blindkid] Study on Use of Tactile Graphics

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Wed Feb 20 18:44:09 UTC 2013

I have been asked to distribute this announcement.  The attached documents
she refers to didn't come through, but her contact information is here.

Debbie

______

Subject Line: Seeking Braille Reading Youth in Grades 6-12 to Participate in
a Research Study about Tactile Graphics

Text of Email:

Hello Parents,

I am at The University of Arizona where I prepare teachers of students with
visual impairments.  For the last several years I have been working with Dr.
Tina Herzberg at the University of South Carolina Upstate on a research
study to examine how individuals prepare math materials for braille readers.
As a follow up to this study we are conducting the study What Youth with
Visual Impairments Have to Say About Tactile Graphics.  This study will help
us better understand what works for youth in regards to tactile graphics. If
your child meets these criteria, we would like to extend an invitation to
him/her to participate:

1. Your child is in grades 6 through 12 and is within 2 grade levels in math
class.

2. Your child resides in the United States.

3. Your child is a proficient braille reader using braille as his/her
primary literacy medium in math and science classes.

4. Your child has had experience with tactile graphics (e.g., maps, charts,
graphs).

5. Your child is articulate and comfortable sharing information with adults.
This last point is important as your child will need to speak to one of us
via phone for approximately 30-45 minutes.

If your child is interested you can download the attached THREE FILES.  Or
if you prefer you can contact me (rosenblu at u.arizona.edu) with your mailing
address and I wills send you a packet.

Mail completed forms to:

Dr. L. Penny Rosenblum
University of Arizona
Department of Disability and Psychoeducational Studies
PO Box 210069
Tucson, AZ 85721-0069

You may also scan and email me the documents to rosenblu at u.arizona.edu.  THE
CONSENT FORM REQUIRES A PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGNATURE.

Remember, your child must meet all the criteria for participation and be
comfortable speaking via phone to someone he/she does not know!

I'd be happy to talk with you about the study.  Please feel free to email me
at rosenblu at u.arizona.edu or call me at 520-621-1223.

Thank you,
Penny Rosenblum