[blindkid] GROUP SESSIONS

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 01:47:58 UTC 2013

Hi Heather,
Welcome to the list. My name is Arielle Silverman and I'm a blind
adult (28-year-old doctoral student) living in Colorado.
There are lots of support groups out there (phone, email and some meet
in person) that are geared toward certain eye conditions, and if your
son is enrolled in an early intervention or blindness services
program, they might have a support group for parents. However, I think
that joining a local chapter of the NFB Parents of Blind Children
organization will give you something special that you probably won't
find elsewhere, which is the opportunity to meet successful and happy
blind adults. These folks will give you guys lots of encouragement and
practical advice about blindness which will help you to understand all
the things your son can look forward to. Eventually they can also
serve as good role models for him as he grows.
I have been totally blind since birth, so if you have questions about
my experiences growing up, etc. feel free to write me off-list at
arielle71 at gmail.com
Best,
Arielle