[blindkid] To Sign or not To Sign

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 02:58:18 UTC 2013

Agreed, I can't possibly imagine what benefit such a sign could have
and it could potentially do a lot of harm to how she feels about
herself and how others feel about her and her blindness.
Drivers should be careful in neighborhoods where children might be out
and about, regardless of whether or not the kids have "special needs".
Perhaps a sign would make drivers be more careful, but then, using
that logic, maybe every family with young children who walk themselves
to school should get a "special needs" sign?
If she has appropriate O&M skills and age-appropriate supervision, she
shouldn't be in any more danger walking to school than any other
child.
Arielle