[blindkid] To sign or not to sign

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Mon Feb 25 18:26:38 UTC 2013

Eric,
 That might be your experience, and I must respectfully let you know that
has not been mine. It has nothing to do with my mobility skills in any way.
after only being blind for 7 years, I travel the subway system in nyc, as
well as travel no less than 6 times a year nationally, coast to coast.

Again, forewarned is forearmed.

I have had people step on and break my cane three times in my first months
as a blind person, which motivated me to get a dog as my preferred mode of
mobility. I travel well either by cane or by dog, and still experience,
while out on the streets, people seemingly not aware, that I am not some jim
dandy with a walking stick, or a professional dog walker.

Some of the reasoning given on both sides of this discussion are
understandable but like I have said we all have an opinion, and a choice. I
choose to sign, and it in no ways minimizes , or negates my skills for
mobility. Environmental signage is designed to open the eyes of people
driving in an area to circumstances and concerns that allow them the maximum
amount of information to keep themselves and others safe on the road. The
points have been raised about that for sure, and I assert, that my desire to
take that extra precautionary measure, to ensure that I do not become a
speed bump is one, as a parent, and as an educator, I would support
completely.

We cannot always be sure that the general public knows what a white cane
means or a guide dog for that matter. I was standing in a court house
speaking to a lawyer, with, I would assume,  a jurist doctorate, and she did
not know what  the cane meant or that I was even blind, until I told her.
when I sounded shocked, her response was, "how would I know you were blind
unless you told me?" when I held up the cane, asserting that it was an
international symbol that I was in fact blind, she admitted she did not know
about that fact, and apologized.

To think that a lawyer, who is also most probably a licensed driver had no
clue about the white cane, begs the question, what do we do in those
instances where it is not safe to assume that people know about the white
cane?
What do we do in those instances when a person is not someone who is as
intelligent and knowledgeable  as we would assume a lawyer would and should
be is behind the wheel of a car and seeing a person, regardless of age, with
what they perceive is a stick, and not a white cane, and thinking it is a
person who is not conforming to the usual steps your average pedestrian
would take, is then inclined to teach that person a lesson, and given the
rash of murders and killings that happen daily, it is not outside the realm
of possibility that someone could or would intentionally attempt to scare
the person from ever walking in the street again, only to hit said person,
and found out after the fact they killed someone who had little clue that
the car was even heading at them. of course we are also assuming as we are
needing to do, that the car made no apparent sound to warn the independent
and adept traveler of the oncoming car barreling down upon them.

Wouldn't information and signage opening those eyes make it a safer way to
go, and deal with building and strengthening the esteem of a living
individual, rather than mourning the loss of a life?  To say nothing about
then having to deal with helping that person who was driving the car to put
their lives together after having to live with that guilt?

We are going to have to respectfully agree to disagree here, because as a
new entrant into this community, I feel that there has not been enough
education out there to allow me to feel safe to rely on a hope that someone
knows I am blind from the cane I carry or the amount of metal and leather
upon my dog.