[blindkid] Was: To Sign or not To Sign - NOW IEPs

Chantel Alberhasky chantel at alberhaskylaw.com
Mon Feb 25 18:42:00 UTC 2013

The point of the IEP is to prepare a student for further education, employment and for independent living.    Yes there are IEPs that do not prepare a student for further education, employment or independent living.   The problem isn't the IDEA, or that we have IEPs, the problem is the administrators and TVIs who fail our children by not providing them with the tools they need.
You are correct that having the best IEP is no guarantee the child will get services promised in the document.  However, there is a mechanism in which parents can activate to force the school to implement the IEP and get their attorney fees in the process.   To be clear an IEP does provide "equal treatment."  It is not a discrimination law.  It is an educational law which guarantees children with educational disabilities (covered under of 13 eligibility categories) receives specialized instruction so they can receive educational benefit.
I would suspect your beef (and Heather's) is not with the IDEA but rather with school districts who fail our children.  I could never argue a blind child is better off without an IEP, since the IDEA affords many legal protections to our children they wouldn't otherwise have.  And yes when they graduate high school, only Section 504 of the Rehabilitation act of 1973 will follow them.  But I am certainly not going to not demand textbooks in Braille for my child now simply because in braille textbooks are not required to be provided at University.   I will, however, make sure he is knowledgeable in JAWS and Zoomtext (and he is working on it) and can use both a PC and a MAC (and he can, better than I!) and he knows how to convert documents, etc so he can access the curriculum when he is in college.
BTW, I switched my practice special education law back in 2007 after a grueling fight with our school district to obtain an IEP for our middle son and after a grueling fight to obtain appropriate services.  Our middle son has significant learning disabilities and our school district was failing him.  We have had an easier time with our youngest son's IEPs due to, among other things, a competent blindness skills coordinator and because the school district knows I know the law and I am not afraid to use it.
Chantel L. Alberhasky, Esq
419 Boonville Avenue
Springfield, MO 65806
417.865.4444

The Missouri Bar Disciplinary Counsel requires all Missouri attorneys
to notify all recipients of e-mail that (1) e-mail communication is not a
secure method of communication, (2) any e-mail that is sent to you or
by you may be copied and held by various computers it passes through as it
goes from me to you or vice versa, (3) persons not participating in our
communication may intercept our communications by improperly accessing
your computer or my computer or even some computer unconnected to
either of us which the e-mail passed through. I am communicating to you via
e-mail because you have consented to receive communications via this
medium. If you change your mind and want future communications to be
sent in a different fashion, please let me know AT ONCE.