[blindkid] To sign or not to sign

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Mon Feb 25 20:17:23 UTC 2013

Also, why wouldn't a blind child not run after a ball. What if that ball
emitted  a sound, much like the beep balls used for blind when blind people
play baseball? Wouldn't a capable blind kid, with sufficient mobility
skills, then possibly be running after a ball. All we need to consider here
is if it would be possible? And if that is in fact possible, then it is
probable a blind child, playing with an adaptive ball, might be that child
who is running into a street  exemplifying  the independence and esteem were
all speaking about protecting and empowering?? By stating that a blind child
would probably not be running after a ball, seems to do more to reinforce
antiquated stereotypes, and would do more damage to that child's self esteem
that a properly placed sign in the environment, which is common place  in
advising drivers of pedestrians in the area. Though I tend to agree that
people may potentially become desensitized  to such things over time. but
then again, one would have to assume that perhaps they have retained that
knowledge and in retaining that information allow their senses to be
heightened to any and all children playing, and not just the blind kid. In
that way, the blind kid is the champion in the community for making all
drivers driving through to look at each kid as a potential blind kid,
thereby perhaps helping to save a few lives or a few broken bones. What a
boost for self esteem.