[blindkid] Louisiana Center for the Blind Summer Program

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Thu Feb 28 18:10:43 UTC 2013

Hi Darci,

Serena was a little older when we sent her--11, I think, and had
completed 6th grade.  She had been to summer camp (two weeks), so she
had had some experience being away from home.  It did take some
courage--mostly on my part--to send her.  My husband would have sent
her two years earlier.  I think we might have some folks on this list
who sent their children at younger ages and hopefully they will join
in the conversation.  Mostly, I think you have to know your own kid
and make your best educated guess about whether he's ready.  One
thing I will say for sure--don't let your fear alone stop you from sending him!

Best wishes,
Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ