[blindkid] Question: Braille Displays or Paper Braille for Increased Reading Speed?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 23:40:58 UTC 2013

There's also the practical difficulties of translating Braille output
into print. I know when I was in grade school writing everything in
paper Braille, my parents spent a lot of time transcribing everything
into print for my teachers that I wrote down in Braille. They didn't
know Braille so I had to read it to them. Whatever my parents didn't
do was transcribed by my TVI. My mom was a stay-at-home parent and she
had the time, but I know for many families the transcribing time just
isn't there, and having the TVI do it takes away from instruction
time. Once I started using Braille notetakers for homework and tests,
in middle and high school, I could complete, print and turn in
assignments without any sighted assistance.

Arielle