[blindkid] amazing blind people

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 15:47:24 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I agree that we tend to be amazed by anything we don't understand how
to do. I find myself amazed by sighted people's ability to read print
and drive a car because both things seem very difficult to me as
someone who has never done them. While the Braille alphabet is
standardized, there are multiple ways to write each  print symbol, and
so it amazes me that people can quickly figure out which letter is
which and put them into words, etc. Similarly, driving a car seems
like a very complicated task to me and so I can't believe that many
people can successfully do it while also having a conversation or
flipping stations on the radio. Of course I would never compliment
someone for their ability to read a book or drive, but the feelings
are there and so I can understand the thought process of someone who
has never read Braille thinking that Braille reading is so impressive.

Arielle