[blindkid] SSI question

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 02:55:42 UTC 2013

Wow--what troubling stories! I had heard about overpayment nightmares
happening to adults, but I didn't realize that someone could be held
liable for payments made on their behalf during childhood--or that the
system wouldn't allow the grown-up beneficiary to take over custody of
payments! What would happen in the event of a payee's death?

I definitely agree that the SSI and Medicaid are potentially helpful
resources for handling disability-related expenses, but not as general
compensation for having a blind child. I imagine when I was growing
up, if my parents had received payments to help with equipment I would
have been OK with that, but I would have been upset if my SSI payments
were just being used to meet general family expenses.
I remember when I was 16 or 17 and some of my friends started talking
about SSI, I was worried that the government was going to force me to
receive payments! I guess at that time I was so used to being required
to accept unnecessary accommodations that I just thought that would
spill over into financial benefits too.

Arielle