[blindkid] iPods iDeas

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 05:20:26 UTC 2013

Yes most ipod touches regardless of the model will work with her
braillenote via bluetooth. Most Apps are available on on the ipod touches
are available on the with the iphone.  You should have Kendra and you get
her braillenote to connect with it.  put voice over on your iphone.  than
turn the bluetooth on both iphone and the braille note. You need to the
braille passcode for her bluetooth..  She can turn the sound off on the
phone (still keeping voice on to turn the display) and everything that
voice over would say would come up on her braillenote. Abby uses her ipad
with a braille display. She doesn't have a note taker yet.  Almost
everything Abby does with her Ipad in school (she write papers now)  Kendra
could do with an ipod touch.  The newest iPod touch has siri.  The model
before it is pretty good too. Older models will just have smaller
processors.  Whats cool about apple products is there isnt
any additional software to use.

As an alternative choice Abby won the newest Ipod nano and its voice over
is pretty good.  Its just a music player (it may do videos too)  I imagine
she was the she cool tech the other kids have and whats really nice is many
of the apple products offer accessibly for her. Here is a funny story. Abby
has a friend who goes to middle school with NP and she has an ipod touch
and enjoys it. (she also has a note taker) She was saying she wanted
the newest IPad that an the new retina display. I laughed and asked her why
she would need that. She giggled and said it would be cool.   Now she would
get nothing out a crisp display like that because unlike Abby she can't see
it at all. She just wanted to have it so she could share it with her
friends.  I found it very age appropriate.

One other notes. iPads are sprouting up quickly all over the country and
some time it more than just a tool its
being integrated into curriculum using an ipod touch would get Kendra
practice with the technology and she may become more prepared if that
ever happened also it will show Kendra and the whole family how much of an
issue it really is having iPads in schools.  Its been a huge eye opener.
(Abby's school iPad is having syncing issues with her braille display
instead of solving the issue with the simple solution the para just keeps
blaming the braille display This has been going on for 3 days. I have sent
at least two emails on this issue .. They just got back from winter break)
 Almost all educational apps the schools put on the school iPad are not
accessible.

I would like to apologize for the quality of my response. I had surgery a
little over a week ago and just took a pain pill and i know my self enough
to know I have a horrible habit of dropping ending to words.  I just have a
lot of stuff on this topic in my head and think even with the loopiness it
could be helpful.

off topic ..
Oh Mommy brag moment Abby got second place in her division in the New
England Regional Braille Challenge. It was her first year. There is a link
to my blog before my name below.  I know a lot of kids on whose parents on
this list have had a lot of successes.  Kendra included. I just love events
that celebrate braille.

-Penny
visionfora.blogspot.com

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Richard Holloway <rholloway at gopbc.org>wrote:

> My daughter (no light perception, age 10) wants an iPod or the like. She
> uses a BrailleNote very well, and had a Victor Reader Stream that she liked
> a lot until it broke a while back. Several of her [sighted] friends have
> iPods, but they are generally older models. (The iPods are older models--
> the friends are about the same age as she is LOL.) She has explored and
> used the older iPods with no issues but those seem to have a more tactile
> interface than what is currently sold. Everything current as far as
> iDevices seems to have gone to a touch-screen-only interface.
>
> At Kendra's request I was looking at older iPods for her, but I'm an
> iPhone 5 user and was exploring the voiceover options on my iPhone today.
> We're not quite ready to get our 10-year-old a cell phone yet, but I know
> that in many (most?) ways, iPod touches are similar to iPhones. I also, saw
> some manor of braille interface is available through the iPhone when
> exploring the settings. I'm wondering if that means she could perhaps
> bluetooth her BrailleNote Apex to an iPod and control it. Will that work on
> an iPod touch? Other iPods? Is VoiceOver a better option? Are the
> non-tactile controls an issue? What should we try? What should we avoid?
> Are there any good articles or tutorials we should know about?
>
> I know the Victor Reader will read books in formats that iPod won't but I
> think between her computer with JAWS, her BrailleNote and a Library of
> Congress Digital Book Player, I think mostly what she needs more than a
> Victor Reader is more in the iPod realm. Besides, I think she wants to be
> using what her friends are using, and I can't see anything wrong with that
> if it will meet her needs.
>
> Suggestions appreciated, on or off list.
>
> Thanks!
>
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/pennyduffy%40gmail.com

--Penny