[blindkid] Looking other parents!

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Wed Mar 27 17:12:39 UTC 2013

Hello Rachel,

Congratulations on your new son!

Here are some thoughts on bringing up a blind child who also has
cognitive disabilities.

    * Keep expectations high.  The blindness itself should not be a
reason to expect any less of your son.
    * Plan his education to meet your son's needs according to his
cognitive abilities.  Leave blindness out of the equation when
planning what he needs to learn.
    * Blindness comes back in when you are planning what materials to
use and how to present information (up close, tactily, audially, etc.)
    * The book Making It Work is a good resource for setting up the
education program.  Available here:
http://secure.nfb.org/ecommerce/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=47&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=

    * Special issue of our free national magazine, Future Reflections
on blind children with additional disabilities:
https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/fr/fr29/2/fr2902tc.htm.  Make
sure you get on the mailing list!
    * Lots of good articles at www.blindchildren.org and
www.nfb.org/parents-and-teachers.