[blindkid] Fwd: Information Needed : San Jose Vision Services

Bernadette Jacobs bernienfb75 at gmail.com
Thu May 16 11:59:47 UTC 2013

On 5/15/13, Richard Holloway <rholloway at gopbc.org> wrote:
> If I'm not misreading the previous posts, I believe the original message
> indicated the PUBLIC school would only support special needs students, in a
> typical classroom, by placing such students into PRIVATE school, presumably
> at the LEA's expense.
>
> I have heard of this solution in the past when parents have been unsatisfied
> with what was happening in the public school and it was offered at the
> parents discretion. I cannot imagine it would be a legal remedy unless all
> needs of the student, be they large print, braille, O&M, etc., were being
> satisfactorily met. I'm not even certain it would be lawful as an exclusive
> remedy even if every need were met.
>
> This does not seem to comply with the spirit of FAPE at ALL. I personally
> can't see a problem if all needs are met AND parents are in agreement with
> the solution, but a Private school and a PUBLIC education are simply not the
> same thing, and if the private remedy is forced upon the parents, I suspect
> there could be a strong argument that anything that the private school does
> which the parents do not like could become a direct liability for the LEA
> (Local Education Authority-- generally the school district).
>
> I am by no means a legal expert. I suspect contacting a legal expert on the
> topic would be a good next step.
>
> Keep in mind that the school or LEA telling you something "is all they can
> offer" does not mean this is correct or legal. If they say this is all they
> can do and a parent accepts that, then from their perspective the problem is
> solved. The school district is the absolute last source from which you will
> want to get any legal advice...
>
> Good luck with this. I know it must be frustrating.
>
> Richard
>

> On May 15, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Bernadette Jacobs wrote:
>
>> On 5/14/13, Sanjay Choudhary <choudhary01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> All,
>>> Our son Raghav Choudhary is 7th grade student who gets vision services
>>> in
>>> regular school in Howard county, Maryland. He has some vision in his one
>>> eye
>>> and he prefers to read large print(40 size fonts). I got a job in San
>>> Jose
>>> area and looking for  house in Evergreen School District in south San
>>> Jose.
>>> I talked to special education department in Evergreen school district
>>> and
>>> learned that they don't support students with special needs in regular
>>> classroom. They place students  in private school.
>>> Does anybody has any experience with private schools for special needs
>>> student in this area ?
>>>
>>> We will really appreciate if we get the student/parents perspective on
>>> special education services available in south San Jose area. This will
>>> help
>>> us make right decision.
>>> Thanks in advance.

> [...]
Good Morning Richard and Everyone!!

I'm with You Richard!  As a matter of fact, I would definitely
recommend that you call our National Center at: 410-659-9314 and ask
to speak with a legal representative there like Charlie Brown or
Megan, (please firgive me.  Megan has recently married and I'm not
sure what last name she is using now).  Megan is absolutely wonderful
and extremely competent!!!  This is my recommendation as well.

have a great day!!

Bernie