[blindkid] FW: [sensoryintegration] RE: DISNEYLAND RALLY THISSATURDAY

Brandy W., with Discovery Toys ballstobooks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 02:08:37 UTC 2013

I didn't start this tread to cause problems, but I'm glad it started some
meaningful conversation. Speaking for myself I so rarely take any
accommodation for being blind to the fact that I'm self employed, never used
SSD in college, found every job I had through college, use my cities bus
system and higher drivers, and Disney is one place that I really benefit
from the former accommodations, and not because I'm blind, but because due
to other health concerns I can't physically make it through the day. So with
the new system I'm actually going to even need to walk more which is part of
the problem. I sent this here so people with multiple Disabilities knew of
the changes, and could speak up if they wished. My mom did not use these
services as a child, and I'm glad, but now I need them. My mother said you
will be a normal kid that happens to be blind, and she provided me
experiences that taught me this. Sometimes it is helpful. Disney does
provide front row viewing which can be very helpful as some of us can see
some if our view isn't obstructed.

Remember that your children need to learn that they are a person who happens
to be blind. They need to know when extra help is really needed, and if they
are ok with the assumptions that are made. On my first Disney trip which has
been my only so far I actually had someone ask me if I was blind why I was
using the accessible entrance. I explained, and he gave me a high 5, and
said it is hard with invisible illnesses. Try not to judge, and explain to
others when they judge you.

Bran