[blindkid] Guided running techniques for blind grade-school kids

theparsongang theparsongang at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 11 02:00:39 UTC 2014

Hey,
Running with a cane is not safe. My daughter has been running for 4 years now. You can use a small hand towel or t-shirt to hold between them. If it's a track she should be fine as long as she stays to the right of her guide and the guide uses verbal commands. Ex. move to the right or left somewhat. My daughter runs with me around our neighborhood and we walked it once and I described the area and any hazards we need to watch out for.  That helped to remove the fear of the unknown and as we run she stays a half a step back to my right side and I give verbal commands. Ex. in threes steps there's a dip in the road, move slight left or slight right. You could also use a piece of cloth rope.
As far as volleyball they could use a larger softer ball and it's a game of communication as well. I know for soccer if you don't have a bell or beep ball you can just use a plastic grocery bag to tie the ball up in and it makes plenty of noise. Hope that's of some help.
Tammy P