[blindkid] FW: FW: Peditricians Recommend Later Start Times for Middle and High-School Students

Dani Baisden dani.baisden at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 13:41:59 UTC 2014

I live in MS and we actually have the staggered school start times with
elementary starting at 7:30am, Middle School starting at 8:00 am and High
School starting at 8:30. This seems to work well for both the kids and the
teachers. The bus drivers also seem to like the schedule because while it
means a little more driving for them, they have smaller loads and fewer
problems with rowdy kiddos.

As for whether the older kids get more sleep, I don't know. However, I grew
up going to a high school that started at 7:05 (they wanted you in the
building by 6:45). I remember the school coffee shop doing a rip roaring
amount of business and many bleary eyed fellow students in 1st and 2nd
period. It was very difficult to focus in the early hours of the day.
Getting out of school by 2:45 was nice, but I'm not sure the trade off was
worth it. Working in a middle school and high school here in MS with the
later start time, I didn't notice as many bleary eyed groggy kids going to
class chained to a cup of coffee. The kids seem more alert and on target
than they did when I was in school.

So from observation, I'd say it's a good thing for the older kids to start
later.

Just my 2 cents!

~Dani Baisden