[blindkid] More than just blindness

Lalena Fayre lalenas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 15:23:21 UTC 2014

Hi Carol -
I do appreciate your lengthy response. The NOPBC is certainly full of kind
people with great intentions but when it comes down to it the programs of
the NFB are geared toward typically developed or mild MD/blind children. I
think of the Readers are Leaders program, the children featured in Future
Reflections, even the child care provided at national convention takes
little into account for the children who need 1:1 assistance to fully
participate. If 1/3 of blind kids have severe MD and there are board
members who are parents of kids like mine, why aren't there more programs?
more education? more acknowledgement of raising a blind child who because
of their developmental delays will not become a fully functioning adult? At
a minimum, why are there so future articles written about these children?
We are talking about 1 out of every 3 blind children but the publications
and programming is geared towards the 30-40%% of kids who are blind only.

I'm not saying that there aren't challenges for a blind or low vision kid
with no other disabilities. There very much are and I'm glad the NOPBC is
here to support them in spades. When I reviewed the conference agenda, I
did read of the 2 workshops ( hands off is applicable to all blind
children) which would directly relate to the 60-70% of kids with MD/blind
issues. But again the agenda is similar to this listserv and future
reflections, focused on the 30% of kids who are blind only.

I am certainly not bashing the work of NOPBC or the NFB but I'm saying that
more emphasis needs to be placed where the majority of kids are. The future
of the blind community is a majority of people with MD on the mild to
severe spectrum and the advocacy, support, and resources for them needs to
increase. Because as someone pointed out....blindness is a low incident
disability and MD with blindness is even lower, so the support community is
national not simply local. BTW I see this lack of support even having
lived, and been a part of, NFB in SF bay area and Littleton, CO where the
CCB is.

Thank you to those that spoke up with me and helped in making a personal
connection. And Carol, we have met. LOL but I know it's tough to remember
everyone's story and name.
Lalena
Hi Lalena,

My heart goes out to you and to any parent feeling isolated while doing
such a hard job.  You and your child are welcome here.  We are here for
you, too, and want to hear your challenges and triumphs and ideas, and give
you support, information, ideas, and love.

As someone mentioned, most statistics say that about two-thirds of blind/VI
kids have additional disabilities (about one-third moderate and about
one-third severe), so there are MANY of us out here who know and
understand.  In fact, we usually have board members both on our national
 board and on the state boards who are parents of MD children.  As someone
also mentioned, there are not that many of us around--families with blind
kids of any kind--so sometimes we have to reach out beyond our own
community or even state to find experienced parents and support.

In NOPBC we work hard to be there for ALL parents of BVI kids--from babies
to college age, from low vision to totally blind, from just plain blind to
severe multiple disabilities.  We do care and we do understand.  For
example, in the packet for this year's conference registration we have an
article by a parent of a totally blind little child and one by the mom of a
multiply disabled teen.  In our workshop lineup, we try hard to have a
workshop in every session that would be helpful to those in different
categories.  For MD this year we have Independent Movement & Travel for
Children with Additional Disabilities, Hands Off! Honoring the child's
right to personal space and control over his/her body. Instructor: Carlton
Walker, Teacher of Blind Students, President, NOPBC, and Saying It My Way,
Encouraging communication, learning, and play in children with
communication needs. Instructor: Natalie Shaheen, Director of Education,
NFB Jernigan Institute.  Of course many of the other workshops would be of
interest as well.

One of the things we do which I think is really important is assist with an
approach to education and development--we don't care if a child has
additional disabilities or not--we will stand shoulder to shoulder with the
parent to insist that every door stays open for that child, that the child
gets an appropriate education, and that the child is allowed and enabled to
develop a sense of control over his life, to whatever degree he/she can.

Please do share your questions and ideas with us--on this listserv, on our
FB page, or through ideas for articles and workshops.  We would welcome
your input.  I am glad you wrote and hope that we get to meet one day.

Warm wishes,
Carol

Carol Castellano
Parents of Blind Children-NJ