[blindkid] inclusion of VI children in public school after school programs

Ashley G ashleygaze at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 22:23:01 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone!

My name is Ashley Gaze.  I have read several fantastic posts and responses
on this list, but I think it's my first time writing.  Thanks to all of you
for all of the wonderful insights and information that you have shared.

I have a daughter named Audrey (almost 5) who is totally blind.  She has
LCA (Leber's Congenital Amaurosis) and has recently been diagnosed with
autism as well--a diagnosis that I definitely agree with.

She will be entering transitional kindergarten at the public school in San
Diego.  She will also have a paraprofessional for the length of the school
day.  The school is our neighborhood school, but coincidentally it also
houses our district's program for Students with Vision Impairments.  There
are several VI students from all over the county who attend.

Her dad and I both work full-time and will need for her to attend the after
school program, which is run by the YMCA on the school site.    I applied
for it and explained my daughter's disabilities as well as her need for
additional supports.

 The Y staff at her school responded that they will provide reasonable
accommodations, but they do not provide additional staffing as a support.

So, I have a question about this...Does anyone know if it is it the Y's or
the school's responsibility to provide additional supports/ staff so that
my child and other VI kids can participate?

If it's the school's responsibility, do I need to have an IEP meeting to
have it added into her IEP?

 I feel if a school is going to have a "program for students with Visual
Impairments" and this school was determined to be the LRE setting for my
daughter, shouldn't she then be able to participate in all of the school's
programs with assistance?

I would appreciate any information that you all might be able to share.
 Thanks so much!!

Ashley Gaze