[blindkid] Dealing with selfish behavior

oandemom . via blindkid blindkid at nfbnet.org
Sun Jun 1 21:20:47 UTC 2014

Hello!  I have a daughter, 9 and VI, who tends to be bossy and selfish.  I
feel I have to watch her interact with other children b/c she has a strong
personality and she wants to control what is being played.  I do my best on
this front.   Lately she has been very selfish, unless it is something that
benefits her, she isn't interested (you would think she is a teenager!) -
its very frustrating.  We talk about how she isn't allowed to disrupt our
family with her behavior (I do have some guidance from a special behavior
preschool that she attended but I'm going off what I remember back then,
but she attended mostly due to her social skills) - that she has to be a
helpful part of this family and do as she is told, etc.  Today, I have been
reduced to making her write something 100 times because I just don't know
what to do with her anymore.

I am trying to find some volunteer opportunities to have her give of her
time to help others and to think of others, but I know she will think it is
fun, b/c she is "working"  - she loves to work.  She may like it for 5 min
and then be done, so it may actually work out okay, but I need to try it.
I thought of soup kitchens, but she won't get that visual effect that is
what I'm really looking for to make her have an appreciation of what she
does have.

I don't really think taking things away from her will work, b/c she doesn't
even know half the stuff in her room, she is so out of sight, out of mind.

Does anyone know of any volunteer activities that they have done or seen
that a 9 year could be included in and really get something out of it.  We
talk all the time about how there are many kids who don't have what she
has, etc etc, but it just doesn't click with her, as I'm sure it doesn't
for many kids her age.

I would appreciate ANY suggestions!!!

Thanks,
Traci