[blindkid] Stickler Syndrome

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jun 10 17:15:15 UTC 2014

I have known a few people with Stickler syndrome, mostly in one family.  Blindness or low vision is associated
with it so it could have an effect on vision beyond the glaucoma.  In the cases of which I am aware, it also
affected the hip joints, generally as adults.

Even among the small number of people I have known, the effects are quite variable, and those with whom I am
familiar certainly live full and productive lives.  It is interesting that this syndrome would be detected so
early.  It might be worth asking exactly what caused the diagnosis to be made to determine if the diagnosis is
correct.  Obviously do some research, but also remember that a lot of what you read about any syndrome represents
worst case scenarios.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson