[blindkid] ADA Question Re: Music camp? Another alternative!

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Mar 12 04:49:50 UTC 2014

I'd like to know that too, though my guess is that no matter the mandate, formal complaints are probably rare.

Our daughter's school is over 50 years old. As far as we are aware, she is the first/only blind student there. (Long affiliated staff say she is the first, so probably that dates back 20 or 30 years, and 30 years ago, far fewer blind students were mainstreamed, at least around here.)

Braille signage should be on some compliance checklist, but what always comes up is there is seemingly no penalty for failure to comply.

If you have 100 schools out of compliance in your district, and if you don't really want to bother putting signage in 100 schools, why not wait until someone complains, then put signs ONLY in the school they complained about?

Or in our case, go with a 5-year "temporary" solution. We were assured proper signs were requested from the county while we were still finishing kindergarten at a different school, but it could take months or maybe even a year. 5 years later?.... Nothing but dymo tape.

I can't see any excuse for new buildings having improper signage, but in districts like ours, where probably 80% or 90% of our buildings are at least 40 or 50 years old? I don't think they are going to be moved to install these thousands of signs as they should.

Should they still put up proper signs after we're through at our school? Sure. Are we going to take time to file some formal complaint? Not likely. We have bigger fish to try.

One other thing we noticed: Looking at other area schools. We were pleased to see more permanent Braille signs in one optional school for us. Only closer inspection showed they had pressed some tiny white balls into the dark plastic sheets to form this Braille, presumably to make the Braille more visible? Well, most of the Braille dots fell out over the years. The signs would probably have gotten a pass from any sighted compliance inspector but the actual Braille was entirely useless random dots.

If there's a code I can wave at someone and pound my fist over, I'll absolutely do it, but the missing leverage in so many of these laws is the lack of penalty.

I'd love to hear I am wrong, but I have heard this a number of times from different sources and the laws I read tend to only say what must be done-- why no penalties?

Here are some handy suggestions:
Comply or loose funding.
Comply or be fined.
Comply or be fired.
Those are things which motivate....

Being in "big trouble" may (or may not!) have worked with our kids, but it doesn't seem to motivate our education facilities operators very well.

Sent from my iPhone