[blindkid] Int'l travel

Sarah Thomas via blindkid blindkid at nfbnet.org
Sat May 31 23:21:57 UTC 2014

While I haven't traveled to Abu Dhabi with my blind son, I have heard that blindness is common in the Middle East due to a genetic issue resulting in glaucoma.  I've heard that people are generally solicitous towards the blind. When we traveled to Bali, we found both Hindu and Muslim people to be very kind.  Some people are a little too kind.  Recently an older woman was very distressed that I wouldn't let her give up her seat on the bus to my son (he's 17 and quite capable of standing) but it wasn't a problem.

My understanding is that Abu Dhabi is very modern and not a problem travel destination.  I would imagine that if you dress conservatively and are friendly you'll do just fine.  What a great opportunity to learn more about the world.

Sally Thomas