[blindkid] Ipad only

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Wed Nov 12 16:22:54 UTC 2014

I am not a parent but a blind TVI who is chiming in here.  I believe
blind students, like sighted students, need a lot of tools in their
tool kit.  I believe an iPad is terrific but it is not the answer to
all a student needs to accomplish.  I believe all students should have
a computer, notetaker and iPad.  Her Braillesense could be paired with
the iPad to use as a braille display.  There are significant issues
with IOS 8 and a braille display.  Yes, Apple has addressed many of
them, but several still remain.  I, as a blind adult, use JAWS on my
laptop, a braille notetaker, a MacBook and an iPhone.  I decide when
and how to use each of those devices and I need all of them to do my
job.  Your child is not only being prepared for next year and her
remaining years in public education but she is being prepared for
education after high school and her career beyond that point.  If the
school district or TVI only want her to have one tool for everything,
they are not preparing her for the rest of her life.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053