[blindkid] Online Accessibility in College

Shellie Kalinsky shellie.kalinsky at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 14:19:17 UTC 2015

My daughter does talk with the disabilities office and has a memorandum of accommodations that includes a reader and a scribe however the reality is that they don't have the trained readers ready for her and she wants to attend college now, not wait a year while they train the 2 readers they have for tests and assessments.  She uses a combination of screen readers and technology but sometimes the material is not coded properly so the software can't read it correctly (for example the math problems will say "symbol" instead of "equals" and other mistakes like that).  We have consulted with a private technology company because we thought the problem was her computer software, but we found out that the problem is the actual coding of documents by publishing companies and that in some situations human readers will still be necessary.   Which leads us back to the original question of where to find people to hire.  We know that eventually her disabilities office will have the trained readers available but we are filling a gap in services right now.  There is only one other student with a visual disability on her campus so the disabilities office is learning how to provide appropriate accommodations from my daughter.   It's good to know my daughter is helping them make positive changes for future students but we also need to make sure her needs are being met now.

Sent from my iPad