[blindkid] Braces

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 17:43:08 UTC 2015

Hi Julie, Can't believe your daughter is already 13, time flies! :) My
sister and I both had braces as did many of our friends. I had them
from ages 13-15. I don't recall if it was cosmetic or functional or
both. I had a congenitally missing adult tooth, so had a tooth pulled
on the other side to even out my jaw; again, not sure if this was
medically necessary, but it wasn't a big deal. I remember being
terrified that braces would hurt, and when I got them, was pleasantly
surprised that they didn't. You can tell her that braces really don't
hurt to get put on or afterward. They can be a nuisance sometimes when
stuff gets stuck in them, but they don't hurt. If she is going to need
them for medical reasons eventually, it probably makes sense to do
them now. If it is strictly cosmetic and will never be a medical
necessity, then it's something for you and she to decide together. It
might also depend on whether she would have the option of waiting
until she is grown up or if adult braces will end up being more
complicated as sometimes happen. But you can tell her that having
braces is not painful. Best of luck! Arielle