[blindkid] Sex Ed.

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 18:19:32 UTC 2015

Heidi:

Thanks for this resource. During my sex education classes, I sometimes found
it helpful to have some one-on-one time with my instructor in order to get
descriptions of materials which were displayed visually without running the
risk of offending my more sensitive classmates. This may be a service which
your private instructor can provide to other blind students as well.

With this said, however, I wonder why you think public school sex ed classes
are not effective for blind students. It is true that information in these
classes is often displayed visually in diagrams or pictures. Depending on
how descriptive the teacher is, it may be necessary to get some one-on-one
help to ensure that a blind student understands what is being shown.
However, in my experience as a blind student who has taken sex ed at both
the middle and high school levels, I have always found my teachers willing
to meet this need as long as I met with them before or after school. It may
be that I'm an exception who has been blessed with especially flexible
teachers. However, I'm wondering what experiences you have had which have
led you to this point of view, and whether any other parents/students have
had the same negative experiences. Perhaps there is a legitimate need which
is not being met by the public school teachers and which must be met by
private or specialized instruction. I think it is also very possible,
however, that this is not an across-the-board issue with the public school
system and is rather a problem caused by one individual teacher.

Just my thoughts,

Chris