[blindkid] My Technology Journey

Jamie Allison goalgirl at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 14 21:05:25 UTC 2015

This is going to date me. I started first grade in 1979. I used a mixture of large and regular print, combined with a handful of dome magnifiers, monoculars, and other low-vision devices through school and college. After several years in a career with a taxing array of reading and writing tasks, along with some further decrease in visual acuity that was not expected, I realized that something was going to have to change. I had already learned Braille as a part of a TVI certification, so I started actually using it, along with JAWS for the computer. The first "real" piece of access technology I had was a Braille N Speak, which was cutting edge in its day. All of the students and staff that had one assigned to them thought they were the bee's knees! Compared to what's available today, it now seems so basic. I used a PAC mate with a 20 cell display through getting my masters degree. I've also been an iPhone user for five years or so and have several iOS devices that serve various purposes for me. I also have a bluetooth RBD and a BrailleNote Apex, which is used daily. I also have a Windows PC and the old display from the Pac Mate is now attached to it along with a home user version of JAWS. I also have a second generation Victor Stream, but used the NLS digital player before that. Today, there are many more choices for technology devices than there were in years' past. I tend to choose which one I use depending on what the task calls for.  Jamie Allison
National Federation of the Blind - Cherokee Chapter President
Lead Instructor, NFB BELL in SC
The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back. To make a donation to the National Federation of the Blind Imagination Fund campaign, please visit www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture.