[blindkid] pet dog: what size to adopt?

KW Kim Wylie (2795) Kim.Wylie at amgreetings.com
Tue Nov 22 13:08:32 UTC 2016

I agree with Holly. When we got our rescue dog I knew a couple of things: 1 - I didn't want a puppy; 2 - I didn't want a small dog and have always loved lab mixes; 3 - due to my love of labs I wanted to ask extra questions about temperament of the dog we would get.

My reason #3 led me to a 2-3 year old dog that was a rescue but living in a foster home with other dogs. My son who happens to be blind had just turned 4 and had some self-stim habits that we were working on.  One of those was jumping and spinning - I didn't want a dog who would get wound up and start jumping with/on my son thinking he was playing. And while I knew we could teach a dog that, we honestly didn't have time to spend teaching manners, etc with our schedules. By working with the rescue organization, we found the perfect dog for us. He's a bigger dog which I like, is great with kids and is laid back.

Kim